Monday, January 31, 2011

Blog Post: Finding what about IT I want

 

Spring Semester here it is. For all you students out there, spring semester has officially gone full swing. Upper classmen in college are finding what they really want to do with their future and their careers. For others, it's college! You got time. But - use it wisely.

 

Some of you don’t know what you want to do and that’s okay.

 

Finding what I want to learn

For me, I’m wanting to work on helping others with their hardware and setups. I’ve taken a look at the list of certifications available and I’m seeing that working in an IT lab has helped me gain so much experience with customer support skills. I’ve done work to install operating systems, monitor network infrastructures, troubleshoot, remote support and all the like.

 

Finding what I want to do is nearing its development. Typical careers branching after a support technician could be anything. (e.g. Database administrator, Enterprise/Consumer Technician)

I want to do more. I find that I love working for and supporting systems and I want to pick up the next difficult step. That’s how I’ve stumbled upon looking at being a Server Administrator.

 

The skills needed for this involve planning, deploying, and configuring servers for companies. That sounds cool! Maybe being an Enterprise administrator or a systems analyst in a few years after I graduate and get experience is my dream.

 

Reading & gathering information

So, here/now what do I do? Well, I’ve been faced multiple points to entry. I want to go to the end, but it’s better to start where I have a little experience/interest in now.

 

1. Windows 7 – easy to do and get this. I’m going to check out the exam for Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician. Sounds easy.

2. Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator – I’ve got that to look at too since I’ve had years of experience installing Windows 7.

 

Maybe I’ll work my way to the Windows Server 2008 R2 exam… The thing I am seeing with IT careers post-graduation is that there are so many Microsoft Certifications…you can’t fail to find one that will help you land a job.

 

Job hunting:

Well, going into the IT world with training from your business courses or marketing courses, you will quickly learn that the market is growing fast with jobs and technology. This means it is becoming a competitive field. Take heed from these other great 9 IT men and women with their roles too.

As I spend this week continuing my education, I’m busy with my time finalizing my résumé and keeping my eyes turned at business news. One thing I've found to pay attention to is IT news. Here are some awesome sites that can tip any IT student into the right direction:

 

Helpful stuff for careers:

Fortune Top 100 Companies : 2010

Information Technologies’ best jobs : 2010

Best résumé & interview questionnaire book I’ve experienced

 

Good luck on your start to deciding what’s right for you! If you have any suggestions, I am totally open for it! Big Smile

- Kevin 


 

 

 

Source: http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/cf/b/weblog/archive/2011/01/27/finding-what-about-it-i-want.aspx

International Game Technology International Business Machines (Ibm) Interdigital Communications Intel

No comments:

Post a Comment